Thanks to all of who supported the Thrive in Joy Nick Fagnano Foundation (TJNFF) 2017 11 Days of Giving, we surpassed our minimum goal of 111 donations with a total of 146 donations over the course of the 11 days! 1+4+6=11 which might have been Nick's way of saying "Great job!" The total amount came to just over $17,000 and we are so very grateful to every one of you who made a donation! Because your support, TJNFF will continue to have a significant impact on the lives of young people. As it does, every year, the campaign coincides with our fall mission trip to the Dominican Republic and it gives us a chance to tackle new projects and see how the ones you've supported are thriving. Here's an update:
- Options are still being evaluated to invest funds earmarked for Tia Tatiana School to build a free-standing Early Childhood Education Center. While the property originally being considered has been taken off the market, Vision Trust is now looking into other educational facility possibilities in the community to accommodate nearly 100 children ages 3-6 from families living in extreme poverty. The photo below shows the 2nd grade classroom we visited on our recent November trip. The new desks and chairs are thanks to your support!
- We're praying for a church or other organization to partner with Vision Trust to provide the construction funding for Tia Tatiana Schools' Early Childhood Education building while TJNFF's goal will be to fund the furniture and other interior needs.
- After refurbishing Tia Tatiana School's kitchen in March of 2017, we've set our sights set on a kitchen upgrade at the boys' house at the Remar Orphanage for March 2019.
- We made improvements to the preschool and the school where the children from the Remar Orphanage attend class thanks to all the hard work of the USC Caruso Catholic Center students...and Father Richard!... who chose to join Thrive in Joy for their March 2018 Alternative Spring Break mission trip.
Your support also contributes to these TJNFF causes:
- At the end of 2017, the Foundation contributed $4,000 to the Nick Fagnano Memorial Endowment at USC's Sol Price School of Public Policy providing one or more scholarships to Price students enrolled in this school whose mission is to improve the quality of life for people and their communities here and abroad.
- In spring of 2018 we awarded a scholarship based on strength of character to a graduating 8th grader at St. Brendan School and a graduating Notre Dame High School senior who has played baseball at NDHS all four years .
- In Fall of 2018 we are launching the Thrive in Joy Nick Fagnano Foundation Character Influencers Initiative (TJNFFCII) open to all while focused on ages 15-25 to encourage strength of character and to inspire in others 11 key character traits that reflect Nick.
WHY THE 11.11 CAMPAIGN?
Whenever Nick saw the time 11:11 on his phone he made a wish. 2018 marks the 4th Annual Thrive in Joy Nick Fagnano Foundation 11 days of giving ending on 11.11 at 11:11 p.m. Each year we set our goal to exceed 111 donations. It's not about how MUCH one gives--it's about how MANY choose to participate. Every donation makes a big difference for young people living in the Dominican Republic who lack so many of the basic things we take for granted... yet have so much joy. And in 2018 the campaign will help fund the Character Influencers curriculum with the goal of reaching young people around the world.
Suggested donation: $1.11, $11.11, $111.11 or any multiple thereof: $22.22, $33.33, $44.44, $88.88 etc.
In March 2017, Jay , Mary , and Students from USC's Caruso Catholic Center spent a week in Santo Domingo helping some special kids at the Remar Orphanage and at Tia Tatiana School.
On November 10, 2017 Mary and Jay, departed on their 8th trip to the Dominican Republic since Nick's passing. On every trip, thanks to the generosity of Thrive in Joy supporters, life has improved for the children at the Remar orphanage and Tia Tatiana school. On the November 2018 trip we traveled to the Haitian border to visit a Vision Trust school that serves as an inspiration for children living in extreme poverty on the border of Haiti.
the 2 photos on the right show the school we visited on border of the DR and Haiti on our November 2017 trip. The 3rd photo is the property immediately adjacent to the school and the far right photo is at the Haitian border standing on the DR side. Haitians are returning from their Monday market day. Every Friday and Monday they are allowed to freely cross into the DR to sell goods in the open air market.
Eager students at Tia Tatiana School in Santo Domingo where we hope to see an expansion allowing for more classrooms.
With your support, Thrive in Joy Nick Fagnano Foundation will be keeping Nick's light brightly shining.
Your support has been an answer to the prayers of children and their families who have so little but whose hearts are so full of appreciation and love.